• The first South African trial in 1998 weaned 1500 calves successfully. This trial also showed heifers weaned with NoseRings® and left in the herd to run with their mothers were 30kgs heavier at bulling than conventionally weaned heifers.
• Experience in South Africa is that weaners can gain 400g to 1kg per day during weaning if weaned with NoseRings®.
• A South African feedlot trial in 2000 found that calves weaned with NoseRings® for two weeks prior to going to the feedlot performed significantly better than calves loaded directly from their mothers to the feedlot.
• The average daily gain improved by 156 grams.
• Standing days were reduced by 16 days.
• Veterinary costs were reduced by 1.1% per kg purchased.
• Mass loss from travelling stress and the two-day stablisation period was eliminated as compared to 4.4% loss on just weaned calves.
• Therefore an immediate saving of 5.5% per weaner averaging 230kgs just in reduced travelling stress and veterinary costs.
• In total there was a saving of 15% per weaner due to reduced weight loss on arrival, faster stabilisation on ration, higher weight gain and lower veterinary costs.